[Pulp-list] gopher migration

Mike McCune mmccune at redhat.com
Fri Nov 5 20:31:31 UTC 2010

On 11/05/2010 01:28 PM, Mike McCune wrote:
> On 11/04/2010 04:07 PM, Jeff Ortel wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> The changes to migrate pulp to use gopher[1] have been pushed to master.  For the most
>> part, developers and users will not notice any significant differences.
>>
>> Change Summary:
>>     *<git>/src/pulp/messaging package replaced with gopher.messaging
>>     *<git>/src/pulp/client/agent package replaced with gopher plugin defined as:
>>        -<git>/etc/gopher/plugins/pulp.conf
>>        -<git>/src/pulp/client/gopher/pulp.py
>>     * Packaging (rpm) changes:
>>       - pulp (rpm) requires: gopher-common
>>       - pulp-client requires: gopher
>>     *<git>/bin/pulpd (removed), replaced by gopherd
>>     *<git>/etc/init.d (removed)
>>

> question:
>
> Any reason you decided to call the package 'gopher' vs 'python-gopher'?
>    Does it go beyond the scope of a python lib and has general
> functionality as a standalone tool?

one of the reasons I ask is you are stepping into the realm of confusing
people with the old Gopher protocol and tools:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher_%28protocol%29

"Although largely supplanted by the Web in the years following, the
Gopher protocol is still in use by enthusiasts, and a small population
of actively-maintained servers remains."

--
Mike McCune
mmccune AT redhat.com