[Pulp-list] cli output question

Mike McCune mmccune at redhat.com
Fri Oct 1 17:52:04 UTC 2010

On 09/30/2010 09:30 AM, Jason Dobies wrote:

> On 09/30/2010 12:11 PM, Jason L Connor wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Since I've been working on the cli a lot this sprint, I've noticed an
>> inconsistency in the output from certain commands. Namely, if the
>> command is a concatenation of two words (e.g. packagegroup), we refer to
>> these entities as 'packagegroup' or 'package group' at random in our
>> messages to the user.
>>
>> I'd like to see a standard adopted here, either always refer to them as
>> 'packagegroup' or as 'package group' in the output.
>>
>> My vote is for the separated version in our messages to the user (e.g.
>> 'package group'), and only use the concatenated version when referring
>> to the command name.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> +1 to the separated.

likewise, +1 for separated

> I don't think you'll have time for this, but I'd also like to see our
> auth messages handled consistently. At times you're told "-u must be
> specified" and at others you get a message about authentication failing
> that comes directly from the server (and is enclosed in quotes, you know
> the one I'm talking about). For some reason I think there's even a
> different message when using pulp-client.
>
> If we don't get to that this sprint, I'd like to see that in CLI
> enhancements soon.

agreed .. I felt bad about how user-unfriendly it was when I implemented
the feature but never carved out time to get back to it in a later sprint.

Jason is working on a refactor that will make it much easier to
communicate with -u/-p are required but we still will need to work on
the server side error handling to at least differentiate between the
possible error conditions:

  * Bad username and pass
  * Bad certificate
  * Missing cert