[Pulp-list] Handling Uploads to repos with feed

Pradeep Kilambi pkilambi at redhat.com
Mon Oct 11 18:07:27 UTC 2010

On 10/11/2010 01:55 PM, Mike McCune wrote:
> On 10/11/2010 10:37 AM, Jeff Ortel wrote:

>>> I still don't see why it is all that different than what we have now
>>> with the addition of the need to run createrepo --update after a sync
>>> like we do now after a package upload ...
>>>
>>> Is there something more than that?
>>
>> For me, preventing uploads to repos with feeds has nothing to do with
>> the overhead of
>> running 'createrepo --update' but instead has to do with preserving
>> the integrity of repos
>> with feeds.  I think there is some expectation that repos with feeds
>> are exactly
>> synchronized with the feed (repo).  Perhaps, my perspective of what
>> the /feed/ represents
>> is incorrect?
>>

> good point ..
>
> to me a feed is just a way to get packages into a repo and uploads are
> another way.  I don't think we said anywhere that by defining a feed
> for a repo we have a contract to ensure that the package content in
> the upstream is exactly the same as is on the pulp server.  That said
> I do see where you are coming from and I expect some people do see
> repos with feeds as behaving this way.
>
> I just don't want to keep going down a path where we constrain pulp to
> work the way Red Hat releases and manages content.  I still see the
> project as having the goal to be a generic software
> distribution/management tool and not something who's job is to enforce
> workflow.  If users want to mix content into one repo by uploading
> packages from a local dir and feeding them in from an external source
> I think we should let them do that.
>
> If we want to start putting rules, restrictions and policy around how
> content flows into a repo I think we should make it optional and
> configurable.

Making it configurable is fine I think. I jus dont see much benefit in
allowing users to do uploads? Keeping it generic and all that is great.
But keeping a repo with feed has some meaning. The whole point of a feed
to me is thats the source of content for it. If you want to upload
content you can always do that to a feedless repo. Its only a
restriction if we're crippling users with this. But we're not. A user
can achieve the same by uploading to a repo and subcribing to a feed +
feedless repo.

I just dont want us to complicate use cases, just for the sake of
flexibility.

~ Prad