[Pulp-list] Repository cloning design

Pradeep Kilambi pkilambi at redhat.com
Tue Oct 12 14:36:25 UTC 2010

On 10/12/2010 03:56 AM, Sayli Karmarkar wrote:
> I have added design approach for supporting repository cloning at:
> https://fedorahosted.org/pulp/wiki/RepositoryCloning
>
> Feel free to add your thoughts / suggestions to wiki or in this email
> thread.
>
> Thanks,

* A cloned repo should just be another repo. Only use I see to adding a
parent sub collection to a repo is to track back the parent for the
clone, which we could with feed I think. But I'm open to having a parent
info in the repo. But lets not call it parent_repo instead just call it
a parent_id in a repo. If parent_id is None its a parent repo else its
cloned.

* Yes we need errata support, that you should get for free with sync, as
sync should pull in updateinfo.xml and import anyway. You dont have to
do anything manual here if you use a local sync.

* lets not use clone: as feed type. Just use existing 'yum' type as all
repos in pulp are yum repos and point the feed to parent which is a yum
repo.

* yea we can skip symlink support as packages are anyway symlinks in
repo directory with my last sprint changes. So there is no additional
duplication of rpm content.

~ Prad