[Pulp-list] Sanity Check

Jason Dobies jason.dobies at redhat.com
Thu Sep 23 15:19:53 UTC 2010

> Last, and most significant, is how the API classes leverage (1-3).  The
> API methods such as ConsumerApi.installpackages() need to do something
> on the agent and then update consumer history if the agent (RMI) was
> successful.  This is what makes this kind of tricky.  So, what I decided
> to implement this by subclassing the AsyncTask as
> pulp.server.api.consumer.InstallPackages.  This specialized task is
> created/enqueued and returned by ConsumerApi.installpackages() giving
> InstallPackages.install() as the task's target callable.  When invoked,
> it sends the RMI.  Then, when the reply comes in and Task.succeeded() is
> called by the queue.  This method is overridden in InstallPackages which
> calls super.succeeded() and then updates the consumer history.

We might want to update consumer history even if the install was
unsuccessful. It can be argued either way:
- - Since the install failed, nothing changed, hence there's nothing to
report about in the history.
- - Since an attempt to change the client was made, we should record that.

I tend to lean towards the latter. In terms of the async RMI, it
shouldn't be too difficult of a hook to add in, we'd just check for
Task.failed as well.

However before we even get there, this is something I hadn't exactly
accounted for in the consumer history. We could either:
- - Add a new event type ("package_install_failed")
- - Add a flag to all events that say if it was successful or failed (may
not make sense in all cases)
- - Add a flag just to package installed/uninstalled to indicate if it was
successful or not, and also information on why it failed. This fits in
with the current model of each event type having a blob of event type
specific stuff.

I'm kinda threadjacking this with that history event discussion though,
so let's not go too far down that path. To keep on track, am I correct
in assuming it'd be a pretty simple hook to tie into the task failing as
well as succeeding?

> It looks like this:
>
> WS(controller)-->ConsumerApi.installpackages()-->FIFOQueue.enqueue(task)
>   [ task runs Task.callable() ]
> InstallPackages.install()-->AsyncAgent.packages.install()
>   [ RMI to agent ]
>   [ agent reply received on QPID queue ]
> ReplyListener.succeeded(reply)
>   -->FIFOQueue.find(taskid)
>   -->InstallPackages.succeeded(reply)
>   -->Super.succeeded(reply)
>   -->ConsumerHistoryApi.packages_installed()
>
> Done.
>
> The goal was to provide for arbitrary complexity on how the API was
> implemented which includes doing the async RMI to the agent and then
> following up with calls to update the consumer history and so forth.
> Mixing synchronous and asynchronous logic within the API implementation
> makes it a little trickier.  I also wanted to minimize the async
> (tasking & RMI) plumbing in the API files.
>

> Hope this makes sense.  It's pretty straight forward but we can discuss
> on a call if we need to.  Thoughts?

I didn't dig into the code, but the approach sounds solid and I'm pretty
confident it translates over to the code closely.