[Pulp-list] Date and Time Feedback Requested!

Jason L Connor jconnor at redhat.com
Fri Apr 15 17:36:10 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone,

I'm personally struggling with date and time formats and timezone data
in pulp.

We're currently using 2 different formats, 1 for specifying date and
time information and 1 for reporting date and time information. I'd like
to see us unify this, and I'm looking for feedback on what is
easiest/most desired.

For reporting, we're generally using a timestamp as seconds since the
epoch as a float in the utc timezone.

For specifying date time data, we're accepting objects with the
following integer fields: (year, month, day, hour, minute) in the local
timezone of the pulp server.

This is obviously confusing... (especially because some of the reporting
is using the second format, like for repo schedules)

Here's what I'd like to propose:

The date/time format is always an object, with the fields(year, month,
day, hour, minute, second)
Please note that pulp will not honor the 'second' field when specify
times, it's only use is in reporting.

The times are always specified in the timezone local to the pulp server.

This keeps the logic on pulp as simple as possible. As well as providing
both a machine parsable and human readable format for date/time data.

Ok, fire away...

--
Jason L Connor
linear on freenode #pulp