[Pulp-list] Client Refactoring

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Thu Jul 21 01:23:07 UTC 2011

On 07/21/2011 04:59 AM, James Slagle wrote:
> I've put up a wiki page about the client refactoring stuff I'm working on.
> It's at:
> https://fedorahosted.org/pulp/wiki/ClientRefactoring
>
> I've gotten some initial feedback from jdob and have revised it a bit to
> incorporate those changes.  Please review it when you have a moment and
> feel free to send me any feedback.

I'm currently using the client libraries to talk to a Pulp backend from
another Python web app (what will eventually become the next generation
of Red Hat's internal GlobalSync tool) and I think this refactoring will
help with that (as the web app part of GlobalSync really only needs the
API access component). A model based approach should also help with code
reuse on my end, as it should be easier to have common code that just
passes client models around for later rendering via model specific
templates.

It's not directly related to this refactoring, but two other client side
features I'm working on are support for talking to multiple Pulp servers
from a single client (the plan is for the main GlobalSync web app to be
able to see and manage a tree of Pulp servers spanning multiple sites)
and the use of OAuth for the client authentication.

These are already possible via subclassing and then overriding relevant
methods, but it would be nice if the refactored API supported them
natively.

Regards,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Engineering Operations, Brisbane