[Pulp-list] Candlepin and Certificate Revocation

Jason L Connor jconnor at redhat.com
Thu Jul 21 15:24:03 UTC 2011

Disclaimer: I haven't done any work with Candlepin integration or even
our certificate based authorization. So this email is going to be a
bunch of "thinking out loud", if you will.

It looks like the functionality is boiling down to batch vs single
certificate revocation.

In either case I prefer standards compliance over non-, so I don't like
the custom option.

I guess it's a trade off of how fine-grained, time-wise, we want
certificate revocation to be vs. how much do we want to talk over the
network.

I like the batch operation (CRL) as it doesn't need to check the status
of a certificate with candlepin at the same time as fielding a request
from a client. However, depending on how often the revocation list is
generated, the information pulp has at any given time for a certificate
may be out of date.

If we can keep the time granularity on certificate revocation
sufficiently coarse or we're willing to live with sufficiently short
periods of time in which we have dated certificate information, I think
this solution is the best.

If we cannot, we should move to OCSP.