[Pulp-list] Pulp development on Fedora 15

Jay Dobies jason.dobies at redhat.com
Thu Jun 9 13:10:23 UTC 2011

On 06/09/2011 04:09 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> I'm struggling to figure out why Apache isn't starting after I set up a
> Pulp development environment, and figured I would post here in case I am
> missing something obvious.
>
> I set up my test environment in accordance with
> http://pulpproject.org/ug/UGDevelopment.html#setup
>
> I enabled the Testing repositories so the dependencies for F15 were
> available.
>
> I adjusted the ACLs on the build directories as suggested to allow
> apache access to the in-development versions of the files.
>
> I configured the explicit local machine name in the configuration (and
> in /etc/hosts)
>
> However, when I go to enable the service, httpd fails to start. If I use
> pulp-dev.py to remove the symlinks, then the default Apache page appears
> correctly so httpd itself appears to be OK.
>
> Any suggestion on what I may be doing wrong?
>
> Regards,
> Nick.

You didn't mention if SELinux was enabled or not. We don't currently
work correctly with SELinux. That said, it shouldn't have stopped apache
from starting up.

Same for the ACLs. That doesn't cause apache to fail to start, you just
get permissions errors when you try to do something.

The cases I've seen where apache won't start are because something is
wrong with the httpd config. That would explain why removing the
symlinks worked; in the process that removed /etc/httpd/conf.d/pulp.conf.

Make sure mod_wsgi and mod_python are both installed and running.
There's a wsgi conf file you can double check to make sure it's enabled
(it should be by default on Fedora 15, but still worth a look).

- --
Jay Dobies
RHCE# 805008743336126
Freenode: jdob @ #pulp