[Pulp-list] pulp, repodata, and python-hashlib

Pradeep Kilambi pkilambi at redhat.com
Tue Nov 1 18:24:37 UTC 2011

On 11/01/2011 12:39 PM, Phil Gardner wrote:
> I'm in the process of redoing our local repos. Ideally what I want to do
> is use pulp for all of our package needs, including the base repo for
> kickstarts. I am in sort of a limbo state because we are not ready to
> install the consumer portion of pulp on all of our production boxes at
> the moment. What I have done so far is just create a separate
> VirtualHost inside of apache for non-ssl stuff that goes around pulp's
> python stuff. This works fine for rhel6, however it seems that
> pulp/python is using some more recent checksum stuff that makes the
> repodata incompatible with stock rhel5 type distros. Installing the
> 'python-hashlib' from EPEL fixes this and allows yum to do the checksum
> of pulp's repodata, but I also want to use pulp to manage EPEL for me,
> so I'm kind of stuck. I also can't kickstart 5 using the pulp repos.
>
> Is there a way to make pulp use md5 or sha1 or whatever works with a
> stock rhel5 install? Or would this break other things?

Hi Phil:

yes there is. So we have couple of options here,

1. pulp has this concept of preserving the source metadata and making
the repo act as a mirror. So if you choose to create a repo with
preserve_metadata set to true, pulp will use the metadata as it is. Note
that this is only applicable for repos with feeds (as in you're
syncing). Uploading content wont work.

2. You could also create a repo with a specific checksum type. Pass in
in sha or md5 when you create a repo and pulp will use that to generate
metadata. This will work both for feed as well as feedless repos. So if
you want to upload content to repo use this option.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Prad