[Pulp-list] cds, etc. api

Peter Meier peter.meier at immerda.ch
Thu Nov 10 14:23:53 UTC 2011

> Would you mind filing a bug for the repo update case you bring up?
> I'd like to have it tracked that it was reported from a user and so
> we can align it to a sprint to fix it.

Today, I filed a couple of bug reports for things I encountered, while
working with the API during the last few weeks.

>> Is it more or less stable and
>> functional, or will there be heavy changes in the near future?
>
> The answer is two-fold.
>
> We're gearing up for a v1.0 release. The Katello project will be
> using our APIs and may require some changes be made for that 1.0
> release. For the most part, the APIs should remain relatively stable
> for that release.
>
> After that, the APIs are going to drastically change as we refactor
> the daylights out of Pulp to support non-RPM content. A lot is going
> to change for that, but that is still months away.

Actually for most of the things I wanted to do with the api, it
already proved to be very useful. I just had to figure out, that I
should probably also sometimes look into the code to verify the
documentation or to get an extended insight into what happens as the
request is processed.

So the only things I could mention for the v2 of the API (amongst the
things I filed bug reports):

* be consistent amongst all parts of your api, this makes using it a
lot easier and less cumbersome. Consistency in terms of how resources
are addressed or what they return on the same kind of request.
* provide nice documentation with good (response) examples. :)

I know that good documentation is hard, so I hope to be helpful by
pointing at things that are not clear for a user.

Thanks a lot!

~pete