[Pulp-list] Fedora 16, MongoDB and running from a source checkout

Jay Dobies jason.dobies at redhat.com
Fri Nov 11 14:04:59 UTC 2011

On 11/11/2011 02:02 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> I just upgraded my dev machine to F16 today and started getting the
> following error:
>
> $sudo service pulp-server start
> /etc/init.d/pulp-server: line 41: /etc/rc.d/init.d/mongod: No such file
> or directory
>
> It seems that the default version of MongoDB in F16 has switched over to
> using Upstart, so their init.d scripts are now missing.
>
> Replacing each occurrence of "/etc/rc.d/init.d/mongod" with "service
> mongod" got things working again for me, but would such a change work on
> all the platforms that Pulp supports?
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.

Ah bugger. We've had on our radar to figure out a systemd solution.
Looks like this is going to kick us into doing something.

I'm still liking the idea of a pulp-server script. That can take care of
ensuring the proper services are running. That also gives us a place to
hang our "init" operation off of since systemd won't support it.

I'd like to have this script be the one to run pulp-migrate too. Not
saying to remove pulp-migrate, but to have this script be the one stop
for all of the user's needs.

So supporting flags like:
* start
* stop
* init
* migrate (upgrade?)
* dump (bad choice of words; basically tar and gzip all of the relevant
logs we'd want them to send us in a support case, how freakin cool would
it be to have this in the script?)

Then we have a simple systemd script that calls into start and stop.

--
Jay Dobies
Freenode: jdob @ #pulp