[Pulp-list] Sphinx resources

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Fri Nov 4 01:20:46 UTC 2011

I know the idea of using Sphinx for documentation is being kicked
around, so I figured I'd offer some additional pointers to resources:

Sphinx's own tutorial:
http://sphinx.pocoo.org/tutorial.html

The RTFD (hosting site for Sphinx docs) getting started guide:
http://readthedocs.org/docs/read-the-docs/en/latest/getting_started.html

The ReStructured Text primer from the Python docs*:
http://docs.python.org/documenting/rest.html

And the Sphinx specific additions (many of these are from Sphinx itself,
a few are CPython specific additions):
http://docs.python.org/documenting/markup.html

*As mentioned on the site, the Sphinx project actually started when
Georg wrote it to replace the dodgy old LaTex-based toolchain. The
contrast between http://www.docs.python.org/2.5 and
http://www.docs.python.org/2.6 is stark enough, but the difference is
even greater when you compare the
readability of the documentation files themselves:
Sphinx: http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/default/Doc/whatsnew/2.5.rst
LaTeX: http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/2.5/Doc/whatsnew/whatsnew25.tex

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Engineering Operations, Brisbane