[Pulp-list] Sending AMQP messages from Pulp 2.0 plugins

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 02:27:41 UTC 2012

On 04/20/2012 10:54 PM, Jay Dobies wrote:
> I'm not 100% comfortable with arbitrary messages from the plugin on
> behalf of the Pulp server (meaning originating from the Pulp server's
> connection) and could see an argument that it's solely on the plugin to
> add that support if it wants it. That said, I'm also not 100% behind
> that statement and will have to give it some more thought. What sorts of
> use cases are you thinking about?

I'm only just starting to think this problem through myself. For
outbound messages, I suspect I'll be completely covered if the sync
summaries (both success and failure) go out on the message bus. If I
need to generate other messages based on those summaries, there's no
reason I need to do it inside the plugin itself. I can't think of a
reason that I'd want to send a message *during* a sync operation.

For inbound messages, I'm currently thinking I'll have an independent
process that is listening on the relevant AMQP bus and translates
relevant messages into the appropriate calls on the Pulp REST API
(specifically, I want to configure some trees to immediately request a
new sync operation after being notified that a new tree is available
from the data source).

Regards,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Engineering Operations, Brisbane