[Pulp-list] REST Musings

Jay Dobies jason.dobies at redhat.com
Mon Jan 9 13:41:43 UTC 2012

> The only particularly painful case is if a particular API is "maybe
> sync, maybe async, depending on the input" - that gets annoying, since
> it can make it hard for me to correctly factor out the server
> interaction logic on the client side. Two separate APIs (i.e. one that
> is always synchronous, but may block for a long time before responding
> and one that is always asynchronous, even if the reply data is
> immediately available without needing to block) is much easier to handle.
>
> Regards,
> Nick.

I think you're right about that. Even outside of the wildly different
interpretations of the return status code and body, I don't like the
idea of taking the control out of the user's hands. That's annoying
enough on, say, my phone, much less a system that's critical to IT's
backend  :)

--
Jay Dobies
Freenode: jdob @ #pulp