[Pulp-list] Package pulp is obsoleted by pulp-server error

Jay Dobies jason.dobies at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 13:08:22 UTC 2012

On 07/16/2012 08:50 AM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 08:16:25AM -0400, Jay Dobies wrote:
>> On 07/16/2012 06:17 AM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
>>> Package pulp is obsoleted by pulp-server, but obsoleting package does
>>> not provide for requirements
>>>
>>> Then it fails to install "pulp". We do not want to change to
>>> "pulp-server" yet since we need to be back-compatible for some time
>>> (using various pulp versions) in Katello.
>>>
>>> Is the obsoleted pulp package reason for our errors? What is the status?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> Which repository are you using?
>>
>> If it's the v2 ones, the RPMs were restructured for v2; there is no
>> "pulp" package anymore. You can't have v1 and v2 installed side by
>> side due to a number of reasons.
>
> I understand, can you please make sure installation using old approach:
>
> yum install pulp
>
> would still work? We can switch to "pulp-server" in the future, but we
> need some "transition window". We hard-require this in the katello.spec.
> I guess this would be needed for that:

I'd rather not. It'll require us to make the spec entry but more
importantly is confusing as we try to migrate people towards the v2 way
of thinking about things. Even if I did add it, it would refer to the
platform itself which is still not really what you want, you want the
RPM support on top of that.

I'm not sure how much it gets you either. You'll have to change APIs to
use v2 so you'll have to hack up code as it is. I would guess (but I
could be wrong on this) that changing the spec at the same time will be
one of the easier changes you'll need to make.

--
Jay Dobies
Freenode: jdob @ #pulp