[Pulp-list] Pulp init.d script

Chris St. Pierre chris.a.st.pierre at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:35:55 UTC 2012

Might I suggest that there should be neither Pulp nor Katello init
scripts?  After all, those init scripts just call other init scripts,
which is confusing (witness OP) and can be difficult to manage.  Keep
it simple -- starting Apache starts Pulp, so we already have a Pulp
init script.  It's called "httpd" (and "mongod" and "qpidd").

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:11 AM, Jay Dobies <jason.dobies at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 07/25/2012 05:36 AM, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
>>
>> I encountered one problem with Pulp init.d script:
>>
>> When we start or stop Katello using
>>   katello-service stop
>> then httpd is stopped twice (the same for starting).
>>
>> I believe that Pulp init.d script should not start or stop other services.
>> It is valid scenario that I may want to stop just Pulp, but not Apache,
>> which should e.g. serve "Sorry we are in maintace" page.
>>
>> If you want to have script which start/stop all services, which Pulp
>> use, you can steal:
>>   /usr/bin/katello-service
>> from Katello (which we steal from Spacewalk).
>>
>> May I kindly ask you to edit Pulp init.d script to start just Pulp?
>

> The thing is, there is no Pulp outside of Apache. That script takes care of
> mongo, apache, and qpid. If you don't stop Apache, Pulp keeps running.
>
> I'm confused at your maintenance page example though. If the issue is that
> Apache is started/stopped by Katello as well, how is that need met by us
> removing Apache from that init.d script?
>
> I'm open to suggestions. We've talked about a *-service type script, but at
> the end of the day that's going to be the same thing where Apache is
> started/stopped/restarted to accomplish the Pulp notions of those
> operations.
>
> --
> Jay Dobies
> Freenode: jdob @ #pulp