[Pulp-list] Pulp init.d script

Jeff Ortel jortel at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 14:25:42 UTC 2012

On 07/25/2012 08:40 AM, Jay Dobies wrote:
> On 07/25/2012 09:35 AM, Chris St. Pierre wrote:
>> Might I suggest that there should be neither Pulp nor Katello init
>> scripts?  After all, those init scripts just call other init scripts,
>> which is confusing (witness OP) and can be difficult to manage.  Keep
>> it simple -- starting Apache starts Pulp, so we already have a Pulp
>> init script.  It's called "httpd" (and "mongod" and "qpidd").
>
> That's a possibility too. The intention was to simplify things for
> users; in theory it's easier to tell them to run one script (with pulp
> in the name) instead of three.
>
> But if telling people about the three feels better that might be the
> right approach. That script already has problems in systemd, so removing
> it entirely would make life easier than trying to find a way to replace it.
>
> Alternatively, the *-service script suggested earlier might be the
> compromise. It's outside of the systemd/initd infrastructure but still
> available to those who care about it.

I like this approach.  Having an init.d/systemd script/unit that just
aggregates other /true/ services has always felt wrong and (as Jay
mentioned) problematic.  Most users will configure httpd, mongod and
qpidd to start automatically.  Also, when users need to bounce one of
the services, it's usually to solve a particular issue that is related
to the service being restarted.  Using pulp's current init.d script has
the unwanted side effect of bouncing the other services unnecessarily.

Another suggestion would be to symlink init.d/pulpd -> init.d/httpd.
Not sure it's necessary but does have a certain symmetry with the
symlink we create for the agent init.d/goferd -> init.d/pulp-agent.  Not
convinced this is a good idea but thought I'd throw it out there.