[Pulp-list] Pulp init.d script

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 14:54:06 UTC 2012

Init scripts are really intended to start and stop daemons, and of course pulp doesn't have one.  I think the most valuable way to think of pulp's init script is as a shortcut for starting and stopping all of the services that pulp depends on.  Perhaps that would be more appropriate in an admin tool (such as "pulp-admin start").

So what does it mean to "stop pulp"?  The same thing it means to stop wordpress, stop drupal, stop mediawiki, etc.  What you really want to do is prevent it from handling web requests.  That is an apache administration task.  The Debian style of apache config files makes it easy to enable and disable specific virtual hosts ("$ sudo a2ensite pulp"), but I don't know if the Red Hat land has something similar.

>From a systems perspective, if you have a server that runs pulp, wordpress, or any other web-based service, you install and configure the dependencies (web server, DBMS, etc.) to start on their own.

It's also worth considering that pulp may not be the only application on a server using apache, mongo, and qpid.  It could be considered rude to stop services that other, unrelated applications also depend on.

Lastly, it's a good idea for pulp to not make assumptions about its environment.  We support apache for now, but since it's just talking WSGI, it could run on a variety of web servers in the future.  Pulp might run on different distributions in the future that have different init script conventions, or it might even run on a completely different OS.

Michael