[Pulp-list] A different way to setup Pulp for development

Dan Radez dradez at redhat.com
Thu Jun 28 14:39:26 UTC 2012

On 06/28/2012 07:50 AM, James Slagle wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 10:11:07AM +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> On 06/27/2012 01:37 AM, James Slagle wrote:
>>> Any feedback is appreciated. So far I've logged in and created and sync'd a
>>> repo.  Enough to show I basically had it working, but I'm sure there might be
>>> some issues.
>>>
>>> I'm not looking to merge this into master anytime too soon (master was just
>>> merged into my branch this morning, fyi).  It's more of a POC to see if it was
>>> possible.  But, I think this is a valuable effort, and would make getting setup
>>> to do Pulp development easier.  We in fact have someone else in the community
>>> who was essentially trying to do the same thing as well.
>>
>> Being able to test under a non-root Apache would be great. It would be
>> handy if there was a helper script or module to appropriately symlink in
>> custom plugins, though.
>
> Yes, running as non-root was definitely one of my side goals in addition to
> having multiple versions running simultaneously.
>
> As far as a script to link plugins, what did you have in mind?  Do you mean
> plugins that are already installed on your system in the normal locations, just
> a way to symlink those to the correct place under the new top level directory?
> Or, plugins that you were actively developing?  I'm not sure how we'd know
> where to look for those, although we could introduce an environment variable
> set to their location.
>
> --
> -- James Slagle
> --

I've been writing a development script that bypasses the need for both
root and apache.

I'm alot working on writing a plugin.

To handle this linking I'm using a similar method to the pulp-dev.py
script to link the plugins in.

The linking executes every time I start the server process for
development. It loops over the plugin list and links in a standard dir
structure, modelled after the rpm-support plugin, for each plugin into a
local storage dir that the pulp server configured to look at.

Radez