[Pulp-list] Importer/Distributor API Change

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Mon Mar 12 01:45:01 UTC 2012

On 03/10/2012 01:50 AM, Jay Dobies wrote:
> The change is that it now returns a tuple of result (bool) and message
> (str), where the message should describe what/why it failed.

Thanks!

I've been meaning to get you some feedback on the sync result reporting
API, but haven't found the time to make it vaguely coherent and work out
what I should be dealing with at the plugin level and where it would be
good if the Pulp API could help out.

I'm also still writing to the v2 API as it existed around 0.254 or so,
so it's also possible there are some new features I'm not using yet.

However, I figure even my half-formed feedback should be somewhat
useful, so here's a rough version:

- I want to be able to set summary & details even for a *failed* sync
job. Currently, marking a job as failed requires throwing an exception,
which means summary and details don't get set in the JSON reply. This
doesn't work well for PulpDist, since it means I need to have two
completely different ways of extracting information in the client
(depending on whether the job was marked as a "success" or a "failure"
at the Pulp level). Or, I do as I do now, and even PulpDist failures are
marked as a "success" at the Pulp level :P

- I need to provide users with access to the sync log while the job is
running (since that's the quickest and easiest way to figure out whether
an rsync job is genuinely stuck or is just taking a long time). There's
no native mechanism to support that, so I'm currently considering making
the sync log a content unit in its own right.

- It would be handy to have an easy way for the client to request just
the "latest successful sync history entry" and the "latest sync history
entry". The general query API may already support that (as I said, I'm
still working without the capabilities of the older API).

Regards,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Engineering Operations, Brisbane