[Pulp-list] pulp packaging changes

Jeff Ortel jortel at redhat.com
Tue Nov 20 15:38:30 UTC 2012

We have made a few packaging changes in pulp which have been implemented
in the v2 testing repository.  First, we are switching to comps groups
and discontinuing our meta-packages.  Second, our RHEL 5 repositories
will no longer provide pulp server-side packages.

The comps groups are intended to provided for easy out-of-the-box
installations.  Each group bundles core platform components with
commonly used support packages (plugins, extensions and handlers).
Administrators wanting a more custom installation can continue to
accomplish this by installing platform packages and the support packages
of their choice rather then using the comps groups.

The following groups have been defined:

1. pulp-server:
      The pulp server + RPM and puppet plugins.

2. pulp-admin:
      The admin client + builtin, RPM and puppet extensions.

3. pulp-consumer:
      The consumer client + builtin, RPM and puppet extensions.
      The pulp agent + RPM and puppet handlers.

See the comps.xml[1] for more details.

Examples:

# yum groupinstall pulp-server
# yum groupinstall pulp-admin
# yum groupinstall pulp-consumer

The following meta-packages will no longer be provided:

1. pulp-rpm-server
2. pulp-rpm-admin-client
3. pulp-rpm-consumer-client
4. pulp-rpm-agent

I'll be updating the installation wiki today.

-jeff

[1] https://github.com/pulp/pulp/blob/master/comps.xml
[2] http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/pulp/pulp/v2/testing/