[Pulp-list] meta-packages

Stephen Benjamin stbenjam at redhat.com
Fri Sep 21 08:42:53 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-09-20 at 15:26 -0500, Jeff Ortel wrote:
> All,
>
> As you know, pulp v2 is packaged into quite a few packages (RPMSs).  In
> an effort to make this more manageable for users, we decided to provide
> meta-packages that would bundle the platform packages + RPM support
> packages.  We weren't 100% convinced this was the way to go but decided
> to try it anyway.  After living with if for a bit, the bad taste in my
> mouth just hasn't gone away and, in fact, has gotten worse with the
> introduction of puppet support.  Nothing against the puppet support :)
> If we continue using the meta-packages, users would do wonky things when
> installing a pulp server with both RPM and puppet support.
>
> Like:
>
> # yum install pulp-rpm-server pulp-puppet-server
>
> This /seems/ like they're install two separate servers.
>
> Unless there is objection, I plan to get rid of the meta-packages under
> products/.  What does this mean for users?  It means that when
> installing pulp, users will install the platform packages + the support
> packages they need.  Here is what this will look like:
>
> THE PULP SERVER:
>
> # yum install pulp-server
>
> ... and for RPM support:
>
> # yum install pulp-rpm-plugins
>
> For pulp-admin:
>
> # yum install pulp-admin-client
>
> ... and for RPM support:
>
> # yum install pulp-rpm-admin-extensions
>
> In both cases, yum depsolving does most of the work.
>
> Here is the shortest version of how a user would install a pulp server +
> RPM support & the admin client:
>
> # yum install pulp-rpm-plugins pulp-rpm-admin-extensions
>
> Again, yum depsolving does most of the work.
>

> ON THE CONSUMER:
>
> # yum install
>
> ... and for RPM support:
>
> # yum install pulp-rpm-consumer-extensions
>
> For the agent:
>
> # yum install pulp-agent
>
> .. and for RPM support:
>
> # yum install pulp-rpm-handlers
>
> Here is the short version:
>
> # yum install pulp-rpm-consumer-extensions pulp-rpm-handlers
>
> Users can also get creative with yum wildcards.
>
> Still considering package groups in addition to this ....
>
> Thoughts, Objections?

My first impression as an end-user of pulp is this is overly
complicated, why does it have to be so compartmentalized?  I don't know
why you should have to jump through hoops (albeit, small ones) to
install support for RPM repositories.  I think that "yum install
pulp-server" should give you a working pulp server with a set of core
functionality, and pulp-consumer should do the same.

For any automation cases, like in a kickstart or in puppet/chef/cfengine
it's much simpler to specify one package:

pulp-consumer

than it would be to have this:

pulp-consumer-client
pulp-rpm-consumer-extensions