[Pulp-list] meta-packages

Jeff Ortel jortel at redhat.com
Fri Sep 21 14:33:06 UTC 2012

On 09/21/2012 03:42 AM, Stephen Benjamin wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-09-20 at 15:26 -0500, Jeff Ortel wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> As you know, pulp v2 is packaged into quite a few packages (RPMSs).  In
>> an effort to make this more manageable for users, we decided to provide
>> meta-packages that would bundle the platform packages + RPM support
>> packages.  We weren't 100% convinced this was the way to go but decided
>> to try it anyway.  After living with if for a bit, the bad taste in my
>> mouth just hasn't gone away and, in fact, has gotten worse with the
>> introduction of puppet support.  Nothing against the puppet support :)
>> If we continue using the meta-packages, users would do wonky things when
>> installing a pulp server with both RPM and puppet support.
>>
>> Like:
>>
>> # yum install pulp-rpm-server pulp-puppet-server
>>
>> This /seems/ like they're install two separate servers.
>>
>> Unless there is objection, I plan to get rid of the meta-packages under
>> products/.  What does this mean for users?  It means that when
>> installing pulp, users will install the platform packages + the support
>> packages they need.  Here is what this will look like:
>>
>> THE PULP SERVER:
>>
>> # yum install pulp-server
>>
>> ... and for RPM support:
>>
>> # yum install pulp-rpm-plugins
>>
>> For pulp-admin:
>>
>> # yum install pulp-admin-client
>>
>> ... and for RPM support:
>>
>> # yum install pulp-rpm-admin-extensions
>>
>> In both cases, yum depsolving does most of the work.
>>
>> Here is the shortest version of how a user would install a pulp server +
>> RPM support & the admin client:
>>
>> # yum install pulp-rpm-plugins pulp-rpm-admin-extensions
>>
>> Again, yum depsolving does most of the work.
>>

>> ON THE CONSUMER:
>>
>> # yum install
>>
>> ... and for RPM support:
>>
>> # yum install pulp-rpm-consumer-extensions
>>
>> For the agent:
>>
>> # yum install pulp-agent
>>
>> .. and for RPM support:
>>
>> # yum install pulp-rpm-handlers
>>
>> Here is the short version:
>>
>> # yum install pulp-rpm-consumer-extensions pulp-rpm-handlers
>>
>> Users can also get creative with yum wildcards.
>>
>> Still considering package groups in addition to this ....
>>
>> Thoughts, Objections?
>
> My first impression as an end-user of pulp is this is overly
> complicated, why does it have to be so compartmentalized?  I don't know
> why you should have to jump through hoops (albeit, small ones) to
> install support for RPM repositories.  I think that "yum install
> pulp-server" should give you a working pulp server with a set of core
> functionality, and pulp-consumer should do the same.
>
> For any automation cases, like in a kickstart or in puppet/chef/cfengine
> it's much simpler to specify one package:

> [...]

Thank you for your comments :)

I completely understand where you're coming from here and we've been
wrestling with the same thing.  Pulp+RPM is our bread-n-butter so we
want to make that easy.  What makes this more complicated is that pulp
as a platform supports (or will support) much more than just RPMs.  This
support may extend beyond things in the Red Hat/Fedora world.  We need
to account for how this works when support includes things like: Debian
packages, Solaris packages or even Windows (gargle, gargle, spit).  Not
sure that users wanting just Pulp + RPM want all the other afore
mentioned support and their dependencies installed.  Or, ... perhaps
they wont care.