[Pulp-list] Exclude packages or package groups from repo sync

Christina Plummer cplummer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 15:42:44 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am interested in this as well.  I had read an interesting USENIX paper[1]
and slidedeck[2] last year about using Pulp to manage yum repositories for
enterprise environments, and had hoped to implement something similar.
 However, it appears that the features they depend on were only available
in Pulp v1.

The basic workflow is something like this:
1) Sync all updates from upstream to "live" repo (probably daily)
2) Sync all "non-impactful" updates from "live" (filter out kernel and any
other pkgs that we identify as needing more testing) to "unstable" repo
(probably weekly - so pkgs are 1 week old before they appear)
3) Sync all "non-impactful" updates from "unstable" after they have been
there for a certain time period (weekly or monthly) to "stable" repo
4) Don't point any servers to the "live" repo
5) Point non-production servers to "unstable" repo
6) Point production servers to "stable" repo
7) Manually promote "impactful" packages to "unstable" for testing
8) Manually promote "impactful" packages to "stable" after having been
tested

As best I can tell, the solution described in the paper is based on "Sync
filters", which don't seem to be available in Pulp v2.  So I think the only
way to implement something like this would be to use the "copy" feature,
which I don't believe can be scheduled.

Is it possible to implement this sort of workflow in Pulp v2?

Christina

[1] https://www.usenix.org/legacy/events/lisa11/tech/full_papers/Pierre.pdf
[2] https://www.usenix.org/legacy/events/lisa11/tech/slides/pierre.pdf