[Pulp-list] pulp backend thoughts -- perl modules?

Steven Roberts strobert at strobe.net
Wed Feb 6 07:07:11 UTC 2013

So I've been thinking about pulp backend ideas.

perl modules came to mind after thinking about the puppet-modules and
some conversations on the IRC channel about ruby gems or python
packages.

Not sure if python or ruby have arch specific binary packages like
perl does.

So thought about how the consumer client would do things.  typically
like with the rpm type it would provide yum repos for use.  for
perl, the CPAN client installer expects to install from source
and then build locally.

but that defeats what I am seeing would be the big win of having
the modules in a pulp repo and that is having the consumer just
install the content and not have to build it.

so my thoughts led me back to the current process I (and others)
use which is to turn the perl modules into RPM(s) and then
deploy them that way.  And likely for me those RPMs would then
be in a pulp repo in the future.

Anybody have other thoughts in general on this or how perl
modules oculd work as a pulp content type?

Steve