[Pulp-list] pulp backend thoughts -- perl modules?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 07:44:56 UTC 2013

On 02/06/2013 05:07 PM, Steven Roberts wrote:
> So I've been thinking about pulp backend ideas.
>
> perl modules came to mind after thinking about the puppet-modules and
> some conversations on the IRC channel about ruby gems or python
> packages.
>
> Not sure if python or ruby have arch specific binary packages like
> perl does.
>
> So thought about how the consumer client would do things.  typically
> like with the rpm type it would provide yum repos for use.  for
> perl, the CPAN client installer expects to install from source
> and then build locally.
>
> but that defeats what I am seeing would be the big win of having
> the modules in a pulp repo and that is having the consumer just
> install the content and not have to build it.

FWIW, the Python community is currently working on a cross-platform
binary format precisely due to this problem. With the hassles of
compiling anything on Windows, the arcane pieces of software scientists
like to rely on, and people using Python's packaging system rather than
the OS one in order to have a platform neutral deployment solution, "end
user always builds from source" just isn't cutting it any more.

Details of the proposal are at http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0427/

Once that is in place, a Python implementation would look a lot more
like the RPM solution, with sdists and wheels in place of source and
binary RPMs.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Infrastructure Engineering & Development, Brisbane

Python Applications Team Lead
Beaker Development Lead (http://beaker-project.org/)
PulpDist Development Lead (http://pulpdist.readthedocs.org)