[Pulp-list] pulp backend thoughts -- perl modules?

Randy Barlow rbarlow at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 15:48:11 UTC 2013

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013, Steven Roberts wrote:
> Not sure if python or ruby have arch specific binary packages like
> perl does.

Python packages are typically distributed using the Python Package Index
(PyPi) upstream, and a nice client side package manager called pip is
used to retrieve them. Many Python packages are written in pure Python
code, and those are really just text files that need to be put in the
right places. However, some Python packages contain C components, and
pip will ususally build those packages on the client end when requested
to install them.

For some people, it is preferred not to have build tools on the client
system, and in those cases it is best to use the system package manager
(yum, apt, etc.) to install those Python packages.

I don't know much about Perl. In my limited knowledge, I am not aware of
a Perl package manager similar to pip. Does anything like that exist? If
so, it might be useful to make a Perl plugin for Pulp that uses that
package manager on the client side. If not, it might be best to continue
as you have, packaging Perl modules as RPMs.

Hope that helps!

--
Randy Barlow