[Pulp-list] help with pulp_deb

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at redhat.com
Wed Jul 17 21:04:17 UTC 2013

Definitely start here: https://pulp-dev-guide.readthedocs.org/en/pulp-2.1/newtypesupport/index.html

The first issue to address: Is it actually valuable to use python-apt for this?

- if so, it might be a pain in the neck to get it installed and working in an RPM-based distro unless you can re-package it yourself or find it from a source besides EPEL and Fedora. I think apt-rpm might be the only reason it's in EPEL at all, and apt-rpm looked abandoned last time I investigated. It might be worth trying to get pulp (the platform only) installed and running in a debian-based distro, and develop from there.

- if not, figure out what libraries or other tools you might want to use to parse debian packages and create debian repositories, and see if they are available in any RPM-based distros. Since nobody has ever tried installing pulp on a debian-based distro, it could save you some headache to avoid being the first.

Looking at the existing code, it's difficult to know how functional it is in terms of parsing the metadata from an upstream repository and getting metadata about individual packages. There are some things in pulp.deb.common.model that attempt some parsing, so you might look into how complete that is.

There doesn't seem to be any code to handle publishing a debian repository yet.

So it's difficult to know if you should start fresh or go from his existing work. It's probably worth spending a little time reading through the developer guide, and then understanding how the current code matches up. Then see what your requirements will be especially with regards to python-apt, and report back. :)

Good luck,
Michael