[Pulp-list] Issues with Pulp

Randy Barlow rbarlow at redhat.com
Tue Jun 18 14:51:02 UTC 2013

Hi Claer,

I don't know the answers to all of your questions, but I have quoted a few
below that I will respond to in line.

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 05:41:55 -0400, Claer <claer at claer.hammock.fr> wrote:
> - Sync errors are not readable. For Example :
> 2013-06-17 11:23:25,232 - ERROR - Client-side exception occurred
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pulp/client/extensions/core.py", line
> 478, in run
>     exit_code = Cli.run(self, args)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/okaara/cli.py", line 967, in run
>     exit_code = command_or_section.execute(self.prompt, remaining_args)
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pulp/client/extensions/extensions.py",
> line 224, in execute
>     return self.method(*arg_list, **clean_kwargs)
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pulp/client/commands/repo/sync_publish.py",
> line 101, in run
>     status.display_group_status(self.context, self.renderer,
> task_group_id)
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pulp/client/commands/repo/status/status.py",
> line 63, in display_group_status
>     _display_status(context, renderer, task_list)
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pulp/client/commands/repo/status/status.py",
> line 95, in _display_status
>     _display_task_status(context, renderer, task.task_id,
> quiet_waiting=quiet_waiting)
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pulp/client/commands/repo/status/status.py",
> line 122, in _display_task_status
>     renderer.display_report(response.response_body.progress)
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pulp_rpm/extension/admin/status.py",
> line 67, in display_report
>     self.render_metadata_step(progress_report)
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pulp_rpm/extension/admin/status.py",
> line 93, in render_metadata_step
>     self.prompt.render_failure_message(progress_report['yum_importer']['metadata']['error'])
> KeyError: 'error'
> Expected : Could not contact proxy server

There are certainly some improvements that we can make to our CLI. In the
meantime, there is another log that often contains useful information on
the server at /var/log/pulp/pulp.log. I agree that it's not the
friendliest to the user, but for now I'd recommend checking that log as
well when you encounter problems.

> - How can I list all schedules?

I don't believe there is a way to list all schedules across all
repositories in the CLI. However, you can list the schedules that pertain
to syncing a particular repository with this command:

$ pulp-admin rpm repo sync schedules list --repo-id <your_repo_id_here>

> - Copying rpm of erratas form a repository to another leads to no RPM in
> the
>   destination directory :
>
> # pulp-admin rpm repo create --repo-id "RHEL5-updates-x86_64"
> --feed=https://cdn.redhat.com/content/dist/rhel/server/5/5Server/x86_64/os
> --relative-url=RHEL5-updates-x86_64 --proxy-url=http://127.0.0.1
> --proxy-port=8080 --feed-ca-cert=/etc/rhsm/ca/redhat-uep.pem
> --feed-cert=/etc/pki/entitlement/1111111111111111111.pem
> --feed-key=/etc/pki/entitlement/1111111111111111111-key.pem
> # pulp-admin rpm repo sync run --repo-id "RHEL5-updates-x86_64"
> # pulp-admin rpm repo create --repo-id RHEL5-security-updates-x86_64
> --relative-url=RHEL5-security-updates-x86_64
> # pulp-admin rpm repo copy errata --copy-children true --from-repo-id
> RHEL5-updates-x86_64 --to-repo-id RHEL5-security-updates-x86_64

There is a --recursive flag that you should pass to the copy command. I
think this is has been a stumbling block for other users as well, so
perhaps we should consider making the recursive flag default to true.

> - schedule a publishing
>   # pulp-admin rpm repo publish schedules not available

The backend does support publish scheduling, but our CLI does not yet have
support for it. It's on our backlog. If you need this functionality, it is
possible to write your own script to schedule publishing through our API.

> - after updating a repo for --serve-http(s) true|false you need to
> publish it,
>   even with autopublish

The autopublish flag only applies to the sync operation - perhaps we could
be more clear about that in our documentation and help texts.

> Shall I switch to beta pulp to be able to solve some or all issues I'm
> getting ?
> Did I misunderstood something?

I skipped a lot of your questions about consumer groups because I am not
personally familiar with our features in that area. However, I do believe
our upcoming 2.2.0 release will have a lot of improvements in this area.
I'll let someone else from the team comment about that, but if you are
willing to try out our beta release you might find better support in that
area.

Thanks for checking out Pulp, and I hope I was able to help you!

--
Randy Barlow