[Pulp-list] [Devel] New Repository Layout, Action Required For Developers

Randy Barlow rbarlow at redhat.com
Tue Sep 3 15:16:27 UTC 2013

Hi!

If you are not a developer, you do not need to do anything, but feel free to read on if you are curious about our git repository layout.

Michael Hrivnak and I worked over this past weekend to rearrange the layout for the Pulp Platform git repository. This was done so that we could have a Python package representing each of the RPMs that we build in Pulp. Note that we only made changes to the platform code, and not to the RPM or Puppet code.

If you have a Pulp development environment, you will need to perform a few steps to make the transition to the new layout:

1) Before pulling the latest version of the branch, run pulp-dev -U.

2) For each Python package in our project (you can find them with find . -name "setup.py"), you need to run pip uninstall <package_name>.

3) git pull to the latest version of master.

4) Run pulp-dev with the -I flag.

5) There is a new script to mass-manage all the setup.py files in the project, called manage_setup_pys.sh. Run it with the argument "develop" to install each of our new packages with the "develop" flag. If you do this inside a virtualenv, the virtualenv will be respected, allowing you to make fuller use of virtualenvs now. If you want to do that system-wide, you can prepend sudo. For example, to install each package system wide, you could run this:

    $ sudo ./manage_setup_pys.sh develop

Due to these changes, there are only a few steps left for the Pulp team to perform until we will no longer require root access to develop Pulp, beyond configuring Apache to serve Pulp from your home folder. We aren't quite there yet, but we are closer than ever before.

--
Randy Barlow