[Pulp-list] [devel] 2.5.x branches

Randy Barlow rbarlow at redhat.com
Tue Dec 23 18:19:52 UTC 2014

I've discovered an important bug in our branch strategy that we need to
address! What is written below is incorrect, and it led to an issue
today. I have made a task to document the correct strategy[0], but in
the meantime I wanted to get the word out here.

The really important thing to note is that it is very likely never
correct (I can't think of a time it is correct, anyway) to merge any
<version == A>-dev to any <version != A>-testing. This will cause
problems that may not get noticed! Also, in general you should not be
merging -dev to -testing unless you are promoting an alpha to a beta,
and in that case their versions should be identical.

Here's an example: if you do a bugfix for 2.4.4-beta, you should make
your PR against 2.4-testing. Once that PR is approved, you should merge
it to 2.4-testing AND (assuming it makes sense) to 2.5-testing directly.
After doing this, you can safely merge 2.4-testing --> 2.4-dev -->
2.5-dev (note we skipped 2.5-testing) --> 2.6-dev (note we skipped
2.6-testing) --> master. This will avoid sneaking in fixes that were
done in 2.4-dev into 2.5's beta stream (or RC stream!) without them
getting verified there first.

Any questions?

[0] https://pulp.plan.io/issues/84