[Pulp-list] Pulp use case questions and general questions

Randy Barlow rbarlow at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 18:27:42 UTC 2014

On 10/02/2014 01:23 PM, Trey Dockendorf wrote:
> * I'm building packages (ie SLURM) for both EL6 and EL7.  How should
> that be handled?  Should each version of an OS have it's own repo in
> Pulp with a relative URL that is unique to the OS version?

Yes, each repo should be specific to one OS. It is also logical for each
repo to be specific to one architecture.

> * Does Pulp handle dependencies when copying a RPM from one repo to
> another?  For example, if I copied in the latest bash from an external
> repo to my internal repo, and it had a dependency on some other
> package with a specific version NOT in my internal repo, would Pulp
> copy that dependency RPM?

See the --recursive flag on pulp-admin rpm repo copy rpm.

> Additionally, is it considered best practice to copy an external repo
> to a corresponding internal repo, or copy multiple external repos into
> a single internal repo?

I think this is for you to decide for your own use cases. I personally
make repos to mirror the upstream OS repos, and then separate repos for
my own packages and then subscribe my consumers to the combinations I want.

> Example:
>
> centos-6-base -> production-centos-6-base
> centos-6-updates -> production-cenntos-6-base
>
> OR
>
> centos-6-base -> production-centos-6
> centos-6-updates -> production-centos-6

You could also consider subscribing your consumers directly to both
repos, and keeping base and updates separate. Again, you can do what you
think makes the most sense for your purposes.

> Last question, does Pulp have a GUI available either from official
> sources or community sources that supports version 2.4?  I am aware of
> Katello and plan to evaluate it but am already heavily invested in
> Foreman so will have to work with that community on how to integrate
> the two without rebuilding everything, etc.

Katello is the only GUI I'm aware of.