[Pulp-list] updated pull request conventions

Randy Barlow rbarlow at redhat.com
Thu Oct 9 18:23:09 UTC 2014

On 10/09/2014 09:05 AM, Austin Macdonald wrote:
> 1. Development branches should be stored on the developer's GitHub fork.
> Pull requests will take place from there, preventing pollution of Pulp's
> branch list.

+1

> 2. Bugfix branch names no longer need a user name since they are on the
> developer's fork. Branches should be named by their BZ number and an
> optional message, ex. `123456 - fixes that bug`. Also the primary commit
> message of this branch should follow the same convention of `<bz id> -
> commit message`.
>
> 3. Feature branches should similarly not include user names. Feature
> branches should start with `feature/` to differentiate them from bug
> branches, ex. `feature/cool-thing`.

I think we shouldn't have any official policy as to how people should
name branches in their own forks of Pulp. It's their namespace, so I
think we should allow them the choice to manage it as they see fit.
These are reasonable suggestions, however, I just don't think we should
state them as requirements.