[Pulp-list] Accessing Puppet Module Repositories

Dan Hawker danhawker at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 15 15:52:22 UTC 2014

Hi,

Have just started implementing Pulp as part of a PoC to see if we can use
it to help streamline some of our deployment processes, including releasing
RPMs and Puppet Modules out to the wild.

All hosts in the PoC are CentOS 6.5 (latest updates applied) and am using
the official Pulp repos from the documentation (v2 production from
https://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/pulp/pulp/stable/2/$releasever/$basearch/).
Likewise am using the standard EPEL repo and mongo repo from mongodb.org.

So far so good, seems to work as expected, however have one issue regarding
accessing Puppet module repos. When I attempt to install a puppet module
from Pulp as per the Pulp-Puppet docs, I get an error from the Puppet CLI;
basically a 404 not found error.

It looks as though the puppet client is calling the api in a different
manner than pulp expects and hence Pulp/Apache is throwing a 404 error.
(further details are below)

My Pulp version is 2.4.0 (from
repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/pulp/pulp/stable/2/6Server/x86_64/)
[root at yum ~]# rpm -qa | grep pulp-server
pulp-server-2.4.0-1.el6.noarch

My Puppet version is 3.6.2 (from yum.puppetlabs.com)
[dhawker at sandbox modules]$ puppet --version
3.6.2

I'm guessing this is to do with the API version (API v3) my version of
Puppet is using to access the repo, which was introduced in Puppet 3.6 and
I think, PE 3.2.

Does this sound correct?? If so, are there plans to support the v3 API, or
possibly a workaround for the time being??

Thanks

Dan

# Logs and Command Details

I've tried installing using the puppet command itself, directing it towards
a repo or consumer-repo and also using pulp-admin to push to the registered
consumer, but all seems to end in the same error type.

# puppet module install (to standard repo)
[dhawker at sandbox modules]$ puppet module install --module_repository=
http://yum.sandie.net/pulp_puppet/forge/repository/puppetforge-mirror
puppetlabs-stdlib
Notice: Preparing to install into /home/dhawker/.puppet/modules ...
Notice: Downloading from
http://yum.sandie.net/pulp_puppet/forge/repository/puppetforge-mirror ...
Error: Could not execute operation for 'puppetlabs-stdlib'
  The server being queried was
http://yum.sandie.net/v3/releases?module=puppetlabs-stdlib
  The HTTP response we received was '404 Not Found'
    Check the author and module names are correct.

# puppet module install (to consumer repo)
[dhawker at sandbox modules]$ puppet module install --module_repository=
http://yum.sandie.net/pulp_puppet/forge/sandbox.sandie.net puppetlabs-stdlib
Notice: Preparing to install into /home/dhawker/.puppet/modules ...
Notice: Downloading from
http://yum.sandie.net/pulp_puppet/forge/sandbox.sandie.net ...
Error: Could not execute operation for 'puppetlabs-stdlib'
  The server being queried was
http://yum.sandie.net/v3/releases?module=puppetlabs-stdlib
  The HTTP response we received was '404 Not Found'
    Check the author and module names are correct.

# pulp-admin
[root at yum ~]# pulp-admin puppet consumer install run --consumer-id=
sandbox.sandie.net --content-unit="puppetlabs/stdlib"
Install task created with id [ d3764f60-935c-4e1c-a66d-3b49fadb6f72 ]

This command may be exited via ctrl+c without affecting the request.

Could not execute operation for 'puppetlabs-stdlib'. Detail: 404 Not Found.

Operation executed, but no changes were made.

# Logs
I don't seem to get any errors within pulp, but do get a basic 404 within
the Apache access logs.

/var/log/httpd/access_log
10.1.0.14 - - [15/Sep/2014:15:11:00 +0000] "GET
/v3/releases?module=puppetlabs-stdlib HTTP/1.1" 404 9 "-" "PMT/1.1.1 (v3;
Net::HTTP) Puppet/3.6.2 Ruby/1.8.7-p352 (x86_64-linux)"

Thanks

Dan

Dan Hawker
danhawker at googlemail.com