[Pulp-list] How to configure Pulp/RHEL Repository

Cliff Perry cperry at redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 09:08:16 UTC 2015

On 29/04/15 16:56, Daryl Rose wrote:
> I am currently looking into a patch/package management solution for my
> company.  We have a large RHEL and SLES environment.  I currently have a
> Spacewalk sever setup as a proof-of-concept with both CentOS and
> OpenSuSE configured.
>
> I've looked at RH Satellite and SuSE Manger for possible patch/package
> management solutions. I'm not impressed with Satellite 6.  It no longer
> uses SW as and upstream source, however, I am impressed with SuSE
> Manager.  It sill uses SW as an upstream source and SuSE still heavily
> contributes to the project.

OK, so ...
Satellite 6 uses pulp on the backend for all the content management
pieces, in case you was not aware of that.

Satellite 5 can still be used today, with versions 5.6 and 5.7 being
supported until 2017, and then an ELS version available until 2019 -
likely based on Sat 5.7.

Satellite 5 engineers still remain the largest and most active
contributors to Spacewalk, and no matter how I move the dates, the SUSE
contributions typically kick in at number 6 or below.

Examples, include:
  - year to date:
https://github.com/spacewalkproject/spacewalk/graphs/contributors?from=2015-01-01&to=2015-04-30&type=c
   - Satellite 5 are the top 6

  - Previous 6 months:
https://github.com/spacewalkproject/spacewalk/graphs/contributors?from=2014-07-01&to=2014-12-31&type=c
   - Satellite 5 are the top 8

> The SuSE engineer told me that we can use SuSE Manager to manage both
> our RHEL and SLES environment.  However, in order to get RHEL
> patches/packages, I need to use Pulp to attach to a RHEL repository,
> pull down the patches/packages then have SW or similar get the
> patches/packages from Pulp.

I agree that today SUSE Manager does advertise support for both RHEL and
SLES, same as Spacewalk, while neither Satellite product versions do.

If you have a link to documentation provided for this process we can
review it. It may help us understand the details of what is being asked for.

Regards,
Cliff