[Pulp-list] Local Pulp server for client app development?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 12:15:46 UTC 2015

On 28 August 2015 at 13:05, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> After the other containers also started failing, I tried "setenforce
> 0" again with this version of the script, and it looks like the ":Z"
> suffix isn't actually giving the different containers the permission
> they need to share the host directories. Things might work better with
> an exported cross-container volume mount, rather than having a storage
> directory on the host.

After reading http://www.infoq.com/articles/docker-executable-images,
I decided to attempt the "data container" approach. The script for
that is again at
https://github.com/ncoghlan/repofunnel/blob/master/_localdev/start_pulp.sh

It creates a single "pulp_data" container to manage all the data
volumes, and then uses Docker inspect to retrieve the volume details
for the two that need remapping to /var/log/httpd for pulpapi and
crane (Docker doesn't currently support remapping volume names when
using --volume-from). The Python snippets that read the JSON data
assume "Mounts" support, so the script requires Docker 1.8+.

The other slightly clunky aspect is the fact that Docker doesn't
support setting the ownership of mounted volumes to anything other
than root, so I had to override the commands for the pulpapi and crane
containers to do a chown on /var/lib/pulp.

With the current version of the script, that all appears to be working
- it's possible to run Pulp locally with that script without touching
*any* directories on the host. SELinux still gets very upset if you
try to run it in enforcing mode, though.

Regards,
Nick.