[Pulp-list] /var/lib/pulp on glusterfs?

Zak Berrie zberrie at redhat.com
Thu Oct 29 16:51:02 UTC 2015

I’m experimenting with hyper-converged virtualization based on oVirt (RHEV) and Gluster.   In this configuration a small set of nodes provides both virtualization and storage services on each physical system.

One of the workloads that I’m planning to run on this environment is Satellite 6.   I’m wondering if it might make sense to locate the pulp data directory (/var/lib/pulp) on glusterfs directly rather than inside of the VM image (which is in turn is served by gluster).  It seems to make sense to remove some layers if possible.

I’m curious if anyone has already attempted to run pulp on top of glusterfs?

Beyond that, if I were to perform some testing of different configurations what do you think is a valid way to benchmark pulp performance?

Of course mongodb and PostgreSQL and MongoDB are monsters of their own…  I’m working out ways to make sure that Mongo and Postgres will only run on fast SSD-based storage but that’s for another list.

Thanks.

--
Zak Berrie, RHCE
(formerly Zak Brown)