[Pulp-list] Synchronize Git Repositories: Crazy?

Scott McCarty smccarty at redhat.com
Thu Sep 3 17:38:22 UTC 2015

Scott McCarty, RHCA
Technical Marketing Manager: Containers
Email: smccarty at redhat.com
Phone: 312-660-3535Cell: 330-807-1043
Web: http://crunchtools.com
-------- Original message --------From: Randy Barlow <rbarlow at redhat.com> Date: 9/3/2015  8:55 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: pulp-list at redhat.com Subject: Re: [Pulp-list] Synchronize Git Repositories: Crazy?
+1 I think this is a great idea. I was thinking a bit about it, and it
occurred to me that repo groups might be a nice data structure to do
this with. We are hoping to move towards strongly typed repos, but
nothing says that the repos in a repo group have to be the same type. If
Pulp introduced a way to promote repo groups (similar to repo
promotion), I think that would go a long way towards helping you
accomplish this idea.

Another hurdle that Michael pointed out to me is that there's no way to
be sure that the code didn't change during the build process. One way
around that might be to introduce a "lock" feature to repos. This way,
you could "lock" your git repo while the code is being built into a
Python package (for example), and lock the python repo while it is being
built into an RPM. This way you can guarantee that the git code matches
the RPM (or even Docker if you went there after the RPM). Then, your
build system could use Pulp's API to lock and unlock the repos as needed
while it builds the various layers in the stack, and when it is done it
could promote the build stack to testing.

This is a cool idea. Scott, would you be interested in looking into it
further, perhaps making a more formal proposal in Redmine?
- Absolutely, is there a guide somewhere on how to start this off?