[Pulp-list] Using Pulp to "merge" multiple RPM repos into one?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 09:42:43 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

As part of a development workflow idea for the Fedora Environments &
Stacks working group [1], I'm looking to build a service that lets
people select multiple COPR repos, and have them automatically
integrated into a single downstream repo.

As a starting point, I'm aiming to build the simplest possible proof
of concept: take two existing COPR repos, and configure Pulp to
download and republish all of their content as a single combined repo.

I mistakenly thought I could do this just by adding multiple importers
to a single Pulp repository, but discovered today that Pulp doesn't
actually support doing that - the importer:repository mapping is 1:1.
Finding out I didn't know Pulp's capability's as well as I thought
made me realise I should ask here for advice before proceeding further
:)

My current thinking is that my architecture will need to look something like:

1. For any COPR repo I want to merge, configure a local mirror in Pulp
that imports the content from that repo. These would be system
managed, so there's only ever one local mirror per remote repo.
2. For each funnel, configure a dedicated target repo, and create
event listeners on the relevant mirror repos that trigger a content
unit copy whenever the mirror repos are updated

Does that general approach sound reasonable? Are there simpler
alternatives that I've missed?

Regards,
Nick.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Env_and_Stacks/Projects/SoftwareComponentPipeline