[Pulp-list] Repository layout

Mihai Ibanescu mihai.ibanescu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 18:31:57 UTC 2015

Thank you all for your answers, that makes sense.

I guess what I failed to ask was about repository naming schemes and
repository discovery, so my example wasn't the best.

Say I am shipping version 2.0 (of some imaginary software) to our
customers. Bug fixes will continue to be pushed to the 2.0 repository.

Later, I am shipping version 2.1, 2.2 etc. Presumably these go into their
own repo.

I would like to have a programmatic way of comparing repositories, so that
I can write a wrapper around yum that notices the presence of a "new"
repository and offers the possibility of an upgrade to the user of said
wrapper. In other words, I don't want to automatically update my customers
to 2.1 if they're not ready to consume it, but I do want them to
periodically run yum update and fetch bug fixes (or security fixes from
upstream repos).

So: can pulp repositories be grouped in a logical way? I noticed pulp-admin
repo group exists, is that the way to do it? The docs at
https://pulp-user-guide.readthedocs.org/en/pulp-2.2/admin-client/repositories.html
seem to imply there is further development needed to make this useful.

Second: is there any meta-information about repositories in yum, that would
group a bunch of repos together? I would prefer not to parse HTML when
trying to determine new versions of the repositories.

Thank you again!
Mihai