[Pulp-list] [devel] Plugin API Changes for 3.0 Brainstorming -- Meeting Minutes

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Tue Aug 16 15:08:49 UTC 2016

In planning for Pulp 3.0, developers are discussing what to do with the
plugin API for Pulp 3.0. FYI, for non-developers, the plugin API is used
to add support to Pulp for a content type (i.e. npm, maven, puppet, etc).

The meeting and its minutes are here [0]. The agenda covers checking in
on what we have today and some of the things we hope to change.

Here is a recap of the next steps which seemed to have good agreement:

- Remove the conduits with 3.0 and port usage to use the progress API  [1]

- Yes we will launch 3.0 with a plugin API which will be versioned
differently from platform

- The plugin API with 3.0 would be governed by semantic versioning but
versioned at 0.y which allows us flexibility to make backwards
incompatible changes until the plugin API reaches 1.0

- Document which APIs adhere to semantic versioning (done before 3.0)

- Have a redmine task to redefine the base classes of the plugin
interface (L#40)

- Schedule followup meeting to discuss ideas about what is and is not
included in the plugin API

[0]: https://etherpad.net/p/pulp_3.0_plugin_api_brainstorming
[1]: https://pulp.plan.io/issues/2092

Thanks to everyone who participated in this lively discussion. Comments
or ideas are always welcome.

-Brian