[Pulp-list] best practice - creating a child repo from parent

Bremner, Stephen Stephen.Bremner at WorldPay.com
Fri Jul 22 08:44:49 UTC 2016

Hi, we have been running a proof of concept with pulp 2.8.6  and are researching creating a child repository (a subset based on RPM build time)  from a larger one.  This means we are defining an epoch time in the past and building the child repo with packages built since that time eg:

pulp-admin rpm repo copy all --from-repo-id main-repo --to-repo-id child-repo --gt "build_time=<historical epoch time>" --recursive

We need the child repo to contain the errata as well as category information but NOT SRPMS. We are keen to know if it is considered better to perhaps 'copy all' then clean up the redundant components such as the SRPMs from the child repo, or if we should run successive commands to 'copy rpm', 'copy errata', 'copy category' to reach the same goal.

Which approach would be better from the mongodb point of view since I know MongoDB is prone to fragmentation and in my mind to copy all to then remove components afterwards could present fragmentation issues going forward. Are there any other issues that could arise chosing one approach over another . Perhaps mongodb has not shown any issues in regards of data storage before.

Welcome your comments on this.

Regards

Steve Bremner | Linux Engineer | Group Technology & Engineering

The Walbrook Building
25 Walbrook| London EC4N 8AF | United Kingdom

[cid:image001.png at 01CF5FC7.C8090A40]

worldpay.com<http://www.worldpay.com/>

Connect with us:

[cid:image002.png at 01CF5FC7.C8090A40]<http://www.facebook.com/Worldpay>

[cid:image003.png at 01CF5FC7.C8090A40]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/Worldpay->

[cid:image004.png at 01CF5FC7.C8090A40]<https://twitter.com/Worldpay>

[cid:image005.png at 01CF5FC7.C8090A40]<http://www.youtube.com/user/WorldpayGlobal>

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential, intended only for the addressee and may be privileged. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete it. Any content that does not relate to the business of Worldpay is personal to the sender and not authorised or endorsed by Worldpay. Worldpay does not accept responsibility for viruses or any loss or damage arising from transmission or access.

Worldpay (UK) Limited (Company No: 07316500/ Financial Conduct Authority No: 530923), Worldpay Limited (Company No:03424752 / Financial Conduct Authority No: 504504), Worldpay AP Limited (Company No: 05593466 / Financial Conduct Authority No: 502597). Registered Office: The Walbrook Building, 25 Walbrook, London EC4N 8AF and authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority under the Payment Service Regulations 2009 for the provision of payment services. Worldpay (UK) Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for consumer credit activities. Worldpay B.V. (WPBV) has its registered office in Amsterdam, the Netherlands (Handelsregister KvK no. 60494344). WPBV holds a licence from and is included in the register kept by De Nederlandsche Bank, which registration can be consulted through www.dnb.nl. Worldpay, the logo and any associated brand names are trade marks of the Worldpay group.