[Pulp-list] [devel] Pulp Performance Metrics

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Wed Mar 9 17:11:20 UTC 2016

You know what's great? Knowing how code changes affect performance of a
software project over time. To use an example from a completely separate
project, here are performance benchmarks published by the Lucene
project[0]. Click on the links in the "Results" section of that page to
see the graphs. We could do the same thing but for Pulp.

We need to plan this in more detail, but as a starting point, we could
do the following for rpm content in particular.

-Fresh metadata runtime of a large repo sync
-Re-sync metadata runtime of a large repo sync with no packages modified

-Fresh package download and associate runtime of a large repo sync
-Re-sync package download and associate runtime of a large repo sync

-Copy of 50k rpms from one repo to another without depsolve
-Copy of 50k rpms from one repo to another with depsolve

-Search performance using a simple Criteria filter

-Fresh publish runtime of a large repo
-Incremental (second) publish runtime of a large repo

If you like this idea please +1 it via the mailing list and or give
suggestions. Once we've got some support and/or ideas we can put it in
pulp.plan.io.

[0]: https://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/lucenebench/

-Brian