[Pulp-list] pulp without consumer agents

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at redhat.com
Thu Mar 31 17:44:32 UTC 2016

Thanks for asking.

Pulp is moving away from consumer management. We think the best path for
everyone is to focus on making pulp a great repository management tool, and
leave system management to other projects that are dedicated to that
purpose. Lots of our users already use ansible and puppet, so those are
great starting points if you are looking to replace pulp-agent.

The current thinking is to remove pulp-agent and related features in 3.0.
We will keep consumer tracking features though; you'll be able to use the
API to report to pulp what machines exist in your infrastructure, what
packages they have installed, what repositories they are using, and then
pulp will tell you what updates are needed. All of this functionality
exists today; it just won't be integrated with an agent anymore.

I'll send out more detail on the roadmap soon, but we hope to begin work on
3.0 relatively soon. We are already doing technical planning and
preparation.

And of course, we want feedback and participation from everyone who is
interested. As the core team, it can be challenging to identify what the
best ways are to keep the whole community engaged, and to offer
opportunities for participation. If you have thoughts about whether we
should or should not keep pulp-agent, or anything else related to long-term
planning, please share those thoughts!

Michael