[Pulp-list] A repository download policy set to background means?

Jeremy Cline jcline at redhat.com
Wed May 11 12:50:47 UTC 2016

On 05/11/2016 03:56 AM, Lutchy Horace (Mailing List) wrote:

> While resolving an entirely different issue regarding pulp, I stumbled
> on https://media.readthedocs.org/pdf/pulp/stable/pulp.pdf and
> http://pulp.readthedocs.io/en/latest/user-guide/deferred-download.html.
> Which elaborates a bit more on what each download policy actually does.
> So far, I've installed python-pulp-streamer and varnish on the same
> box, although I am bit confuse as to why I would need an additional
> 'Reverse Proxy' in the stack. That at least fixes the 'No more mirrors
> left to try' problem I was facing on consumers.

Hi Lutchy,

I'm glad you found the documentation somewhat enlightening. The reason
for the large number of proxies is that Red Hat content is served over
HTTPS and requires client certificates to access. The Apache proxy and
python-pulp-streamer both act as SSL termination points and pass their
requests to each other through the Varnish or Squid proxy. These plain-
text requests are cache-able.

Apache's caching module might be usable, which would allow you to drop
the Varnish/Squid proxy, but it needs to support making complete
requests when a client makes a request with a HTTP 'Range' header, or
kickstarting from repositories will fail to function properly. Nobody
(that I know of) has tested this so if you decide to, please let us
know how it works!

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

--
Jeremy Cline