[Pulp-list] Changing working_directory and/or reducing disk utilization during sync

Christina Plummer cplummer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 13:57:23 UTC 2017

Hello all,

I am running Pulp 2.9.2. We are facing issues with our /var filesystem
filling up when we do our nightly syncs - in particular, when we sync the
Oracle Linux channel:
http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL6/latest/x86_64/

Syncing this one repo uses 5+ GB of space on /var while the sync is
running.  Usage typically returns to normal once the sync completes
(although if the filesystem completely fills we have had to restart
pulp_workers in order to clear it). We have increased the size of the
filesystem already (currently 8GB), but don't want to keep having to do so.

We found the "working_directory" setting in server.conf, but couldn't find
much documentation about it. Since this is a production system, I wanted to
check with the list first to confirm:
1) Will changing this to a location on a different, larger filesystem
address my issues with /var utilization spikes during repo sync?
2) Are there any special considerations to changing this setting, other
than restarting all the services?  Do I need to copy the subdirectories? Is
a symlink a bad idea? It looks like the SELinux context probably needs to
be set to pulp_var_cache_t.
3) Is there another way to reduce Pulp's utilization during the sync? This
repo seems to be particularly egregious in terms of the massive size of the
uncompressed other.db and filelists.db for some reason.

Thanks,
Christina