[Pulp-list] docker cli 1.13.1 can't parse JSON returned by pulp+crane

Konstantin M. Khankin khankin.konstantin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 16:47:32 UTC 2018

Hi!

I'm using docker 1.13.1 on CentOS 7.5 on the server named 'front'. On
another server named 'hive' I have docker API compatible registry based on
pulp 2.16.3 + crane 3.2.0, running on CentOS 7.5. I created custom
pulp-docker repository named 'gsk/centos7', dumped custom image from docker
server with skopeo in v2s1 format (v2s2 refused to work because of
incorrect redirect), uploaded and published an image. Repository has
manifests, blobs and tags:

[root at hive ~]# pulp-admin docker repo list
                          Docker Repositories

Id:                  docker_centos7
Display Name:        None
Content Unit Counts:
  Docker Blob:     5
  Docker Manifest: 1
  Docker Tag:      1

Crane correctly sees the repository and images inside it. Crane is serving
on the virtual host named 'docker'. URL
https://docker.gsk.loc/v2/gsk/centos7/manifests/latest redirects to
https://hive.gsk.loc/pulp/docker/v2/docker_centos7/manifests/1/latest (pulp
server is running under 'hive' virtual host) and produces seemingly correct
and parseable JSON.

But when I try to pull that image using docker cli, I get the following
error:
[root at front ~]# docker pull docker.gsk.loc/gsk/centos7
Using default tag: latest
Trying to pull repository docker.gsk.loc/gsk/centos7 ...
unexpected end of JSON input

Using 'docker -D' does not increase verbosity and I can't see in any logs
what exactly docker cli doesn't like.

I tried to dump https traffic with tcpdump but couldn't decrypt it in
wireshark. I also tried apache's module dumpio, but for some reasons
traffic to 'docker.gsk.loc' was not dumped.

Both 'docker' and 'hive' virtual hosts have correct X.509 certificates
accepted by 'front' server.

Could you please advice any troubleshooting path?

Thanks!

--
Konstantin Khankin