[Pulp-list] [Pulp-dev] Documentation Systemd clarification?

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Tue Apr 2 21:33:30 UTC 2019

I updated the path on the docs as you identified. Also, we are considering
linking to the ansible-pulp templates directly since those contain all 3 of
the service definitions we need. I'm hoping to fix this tomorrow:
https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4629#note-4  Feedback on what we should do is
welcome.

Let us know if you run into more issues. Thanks!

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 12:01 PM Brian Bouterse <bbouters at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thank you for the modifications. I'm more gitlab user than github so I'm
>> not familiar with PR procedure.
>>
> It is not clear if the PULP_SETTINGS environment is not used any more. In
>> this case the paragraph
>>
>> "Make sure to substitute
>> Environment=PULP_SETTINGS=/path/to/pulp/server.yaml with the real
>> location of configuration file
>> <https://docs.pulpproject.org/en/3.0/nightly/installation/configuration.html#id1>
>> ."
>>
>> Should be changed by
>>
>> Make sure that the configuration file
>> <https://docs.pulpproject.org/en/3.0/nightly/installation/configuration.html#id1>
>> /etc/pulp/settings.py exist.
>>
> The /etc/pulp/settings.py file isn't needed at all anymore. This change (
> https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore/pull/63 ) hopefully removes reference to
> it leaving this section (
> https://docs.pulpproject.org/en/3.0/nightly/installation/configuration.html
> ) to be the main authority. My PR tries to clarify that section also.
>

>> Another difference I see with the ansible provision of my Vagran VM is
>> that  -c 'pulpcore.rqconfig' is missing. It is not needed any more ?
>>
>> On the VM I have this in pulp-resource-manager.service :
>>
>> ExecStart=/usr/local/lib/pulp/bin/rq worker \
>>           -w pulpcore.tasking.worker.PulpWorker -n resource-manager@%%h \
>>           --pid=/var/run/pulp-resource-manager/resource-manager.pid
>>
>> I think we should update the docs to use the ansible-pulp defaults I can
> do this in my PR also after checking with @asmacdo on it.
>
>> And the last difference I see, is that the systemd services are
>> different. There are no worker in /etc/systemd/system/ but an pulp-api
>> service
>>
>> [root at dev-pulp-server ~]# ls /etc/systemd/system/pulp-*
>> /etc/systemd/system/pulp-api.service
>> /etc/systemd/system/pulp-resource-manager.service
>>
>> The worker service seems to be moved to /usr/lib/systemd/system/
>>
>> [root at dev-pulp-server ~]# ls /usr/lib/systemd/system/pulp-*
>> /usr/lib/systemd/system/pulp-content-app.service
>> /usr/lib/systemd/system/pulp-worker at .service
>>
> I'll look more into this, but I wanted to get what I had out to the list.
>
>> Sincerely
>>
>> Juan
>>
>> On 1/04/19 23:13, Brian Bouterse wrote:
>>
>> I made a docs issue [0] and a PR to adjust the systemd settings this [1].
>> Since dynaconf configures it now, I believe removing this from the systemd
>> file is the best resolution.
>>
>> [0]: https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4622
>> [1]: https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore/pull/63
>>
>> Please let us know if there is anything else we can improve on.
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 1:11 PM Mike DePaulo <mikedep333 at redhat.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Hi Juan,
>>>
>>> Sorry you ran into this issue with our docs.
>>>
>>> I think that specific documentation page[1] is was not sufficiently
>>> updated to reflect the migration to dynaconf.
>>> 1. Dynaconf supports multiple formats; .py & .yml included.
>>> 2. The default path /etc/pulp/settings.py is in the codebase rather than