[Pulp-list] [Feedback needed] Pulp 2 to Pulp 3 migration, export_distributor, RPM/ISO plugin

Rohan McGovern rmcgover at redhat.com
Tue Jun 11 07:29:27 UTC 2019

Tatiana Tereshchenko <ttereshc at redhat.com> writes:

> As you probably know, we are in the process of designing a tool which will
> provide a way to migrate from Pulp 2 to Pulp 3, so we will ask you for
> feedback every now and then.
>
> Export distributor [0] is used for generating ISO images which can contain
> one or more RPM or File (ISO plugin in Pulp 2 terms) repositories in it.
> This distributor is also used to export a repository into a specific
> directory on a filesystem.
>
> Please, let us know if you use export_distributor:

We use export_distributor, indirectly via group_export_distributor.

> 0. Do you use Pulp directly or through Katello? This thread is more
> relevant for those who use Pulp directly.

Direct usage of Pulp.

> 1. What is the scale? E.g. "I use it for 10% of all my repositories, ~50
> repositories."

Looks like we've got ~60 repo groups with a total of ~250 repositories.
Some of those repos have tens of thousands of packages.

> 2. Do you export into an ISO or to a directory? Or both?

We export to ISOs.

> 3. Is it important that export_distributors and their configuration are
> migrated to Pulp3? E.g. "It would be nice-to-have, not critical, I export
> very few repositories."

I think it's not important for us. Our approach is that the tool which
triggers the distributors understands what the configuration should be,
and sets it into the desired state before triggering tasks if needed.

--
Rohan